Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

When Good Taste Gets Mistaken for Snobbery

I was recently reminded of a conversation I had some months ago over take out with a friend about (what else) music. This particular person, not spending nearly as much time as say, I do, plugged in to something, rather proudly disclosed her tendencies to like less critically acclaimed music, like Avril Lavigne. It just so happens I'm not exactly in love with the latest single and I gave my honest opinion. I don't like her and I think she sucks. Why did I say this? I think she has a whiny, high pitched voice, her music reeks of faux punk which is then overproduced, and her subject matter hasn't evolved an iota-- it's completely stale, fodder for twelve-year-olds. That's why I don't get near her. When she first came on the scene about all I could say was, "Thank God she's not blonde." But I digress. My friend's idea was that some people simply don't like her because of how mainstream and Top 40 she is-- absolutely no indie credibility. Sure that's definitely not a plus on her side but don't those of us who listen to the likes of Death Cab for Cutie have the right to shun an artist because we just don't like their music? Isn't that a good enough reason? I'll happily advertise my liking of Maroon 5 which iTunes mysteriously classified as alternative when nothing could be more straight-up pop.

It works in another way too-- God forbid a person does not care for a group that has been blessed by the mighty, all-knowing critics as well as the music community with undeniable, infallible, good taste. One such example is the White Stripes. The "Denial Twist" was amazing along with about four other cuts on Get Behind Me Satan, yet I feel there are instances when they (and I mean Jack White) take themselves way too seriously. There's a line between art and mess and there are times when they straddle it beautifully only to fall off on the side of mess next time around. It has nothing to do with a desire to be contrary.

I'd like to think that most people like what they listen to because it genuinely appeals to them. It's difficult to try to get into a song that makes you want to smash in your speakers. So let's go with that assumption. We'll all get along a lot better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't even begin to count how many times this has happened to me. good to hear someone finally saying something.