Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It Happened. Digital is King.


The other day I saw this this fascinating little story from CBS. iTunes has surpassed Wal-Mart in music sales. Not that I didn't see this coming, because you'd pretty much have to be living in your air duct not to get a whiff of this trend, but now that's it's official it's really something to think about. A little while ago I would have ventured that yes, the tangible record industry is doomed, but I would have given it a decade before CDs disappeared. After seeing the entire half isle devoted to pop/rock at an actual Wal-Mart, I'm giving it five years tops. Granted, megastores like Best Buy will probably hang around a little longer, but that's to be expected. Roaches supposedly can survive a nuclear attack. Eventually though, placing hands on an actual plastic disc will be a challenge.

Honestly, I still can't get my head around not having my music physically exist anywhere and I really hate to think about what this will do to album art. What's the point if the cover is only a couple pixels by a couple pixels? Sadness. I'm still getting over the death of vinyl. Stay tuned, kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid, too. I think it's interesting what this concept is doing to the music industry, as well. The business started off as a singles-focused industry. Then the LP and the CD turned it into an album-based business. Now, we're going right back to the single, with digital sales making that the most effective strategy.

Kinda sucks, but that's the conservative Matt talking. Maybe it's just different.