Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The National...Learn the Name


There never seems to be a shortage of bands that are "gonna make it," they're just so bloody amazing that there's no way that they're not going to explode on to the musical consciousness. That said, I don't particularly enjoy doling out that the stamp of future approval too often because it just doesn't always work out the way one might hope. So, every couple of blue moons, I get my ideas and Tuesday night one of my inklings was reassured. My attention was drawn to a band several months ago by the name of The National. Stumbling on them the way I did, I checked out their myspace and a few other sites and really just liked what I heard. The band has some really lovely instruments sprinkled through out their songs--"orch-pop," very classy and understated in back of the lead singer's deep, pleasantly lethargic vocals. Cool. I downloaded a couple songs. Next thing I know, The National has got a picture on Paste Magazine's cardboard insert. The New York based group is responsible for four albums so far, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, Alligator featuring my personal favorite, Secret Meeting, The National, Cherry Tree, and Boxer featuring Fake Empire-- the song they performed Tuesday night on The Late show with David Letterman when they made their network television debut. Keep your eyes pealed, folks. These guys have got Death Cab potential. And even in the case where maybe I'm wrong (gasp) that doesn't make them any less worthy of gracing one's CD rack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i'm not the only one whose heard of these guys! that makes me very happy. they have another website that you check out...the myspace is more informative...but anyways. i liked your entry.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.