Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Live Earth



In the words of O.K. Go, "a good idea at the time." At first thought of course I couldn't help but get a bit giddy at the idea of some Captain Planet-esque crusade by a multitude of musicians brandishing guitars fervently while telling the world to unplug its cell phone charger, but I stopped to wipe the grin off my face with the realization that I've seen something like this before...oh what was it?

A mere two years ago I nearly busted my head on the tv when I forgot to watch Live 8. When a DVD of the extravaganza finally found its way to my house, I was impressed. Being relatively young I had not seen an undertaking of this magnitude, but now it partly serves to remind why the well-intentioned Live Earth seemed to fizzle amid groans like a Fox rip-off.

TOO SIMILAR TOO SOON- Live Aid seemed groundbreaking, Live 8 was a great second act about twenty years later, brand spankin' new for today's younger generation and Live Earth just came across like a wannabe.

MUSICIANS AND HYPOCRITS- In terms of carbon emissions, how much does the tour bus and the trucks and the air plane flights and the sets and whatever else cost? In terms of polar bears' lives, how much? Am I saying anything new here?

BANDWAGON IS BORING- Everyone loves a good cause to rally behind, especially if it's in vogue or looks good on a t-shirt. Who needs to know if you really believe in it? In my mind, Kanye West's environmetal savyness is at best dubious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the good Al Gore- I think he got carried away. Maybe try something different next time. No stages, but a park with limited tickets. One event, not seven. More realistic info on going green and how does this sound: acoustic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good points, but I think it gets to be sticky when deciding between fake enthusiasm or blinding apathy. I wish we could get some sincerity.