Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Songs About the Creepiness of Space


I think Space is creepy. Always have. Let's just get that out of the way. It's big, dark and there's no sure way home. There's something entirely tragic about a one-way trip.

That's why when I saw Gizmodo's post about a new childrens book version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity," my reaction was "Why would you read that to a child?!" Spoiler alert: Major Tom doesn't come home. That stuff just bothers me. Great song, don't get me wrong. The illustrations looks great too.

The whole creepy-space-song-thing reminded me of a tune by the Papercuts that was out a few years ago. The whole album had an unsettlingly calm, dream-like quality to it, but it was "A Peculiar Hallelujah" that took the cake in that department. In an interview, the frontman said it was about a religious group that went into space and jumped out of the ship without suits in some kind of religious fervor. Also, a pretty good song, but one I avoid listening to.


Of course, there's always "Rocket Man" by Elton John. Not really unsettling, but still picks up on that lonely space vibe.

Anyway. Space is creepy. I leave you with that. And this:

No comments: