Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

'Ramona' : Night Beds



This spring I've kept bumping into a band called Night Beds. At first, the name struck my ears because I saw a band called the Night Beats in March, and you know things go. Anyway, Night Beds are country-ish, a little bit alternative. They don't hit you over the head either way, but what you get is some really reflective, wistful music, lightly arranged and beautifully layered. It feels like more and more bands are occupying space in between genres, and I think it's a great thing. Damn the neat little labels, right?

Night Beds' newest album Country Sleep came out in February. They recorded it in a cabin here in Nashville that used to be Johnny Cash's guest house. How's that for a talking point? Happily, the group is putting roots down in my dear city. Take their music video for "Ramona," shot at Ocean Way Studios (above). And if I can direct you to one more thing, check out their cover of Robyn's "Dancing On My Own" for the A.V. Club's Undercover series. Frontman Winston Yellen could very easily channel some Brandon Flowers with his vocals. And for any Nashville folk, Night beds are going to be at the Mercy Lounge on May 24 with Tristen and Good Buddy.


Night Beds cover Robyn

No comments: