Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

'At Least It Was Here' : 'Community' Theme Song



You could securely count me among the ranks of the Community faithful. I adore the NBC comedy. I especially adore the heaping pile of pop culture references the show serves up every week because it keeps me either snickering at or Googling what the heck they're talking about. In that spirit, I'm basically baffled that I never thought to investigate the theme song, even as I've enjoyed singing along with the oh, so morbid lyrics, "We could be roped up, tied up, dead in a year! I can't count the reasons I should stay. One by one, they all just fade a way."

So, here's the deal. The song is "At Least it Was Here" by The 88. The band is a quartet from L.A. They've been around since 2002 doing such things as backing Ray Davies and splitting from Island Records. They've had songs on T.V. shows like How I Met Your Mother and Grey's Anatomy. They even appeared on The O.C. "How Good It Can Be" was on The OC: Mix 1, so you know they're legit. (This is a far less sarcastic statement than you probably think.)

As for the song itself, I scoured Spotify and it doesn't appear on any of their five albums, so your guess is as good as mine as to when or why it was recorded. Nevertheless, take the full version for a spin above.


No comments: