Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

Pink Floyd, Beach Boys: Santa's Got Good Taste


In the interest of being able to spout off about albums and what influences are blatantly obvious, I am constantly back tracking to try and familiarize myself with as much music as possible. There's so much out there, it's enough to inspire a bit of a panicky feeling, but nonetheless, I'm wading through it one band at a time.

This Christmas there was some definite back tracking going on. I now finally own my own copy of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, which means I'm no longer tied to YouTube and the Pet Sounds track listing on Wikipedia. It's exciting, but thanks to my folks, I knew more Beach Boys songs than nursery rhymes as a child. No joke. In other words, I'm not drastically expanding my musical horizons in that respect. Although, listening to the whole album, you do get a different sense of the group, something more serious and more artistic.

Aside from Pet Sounds and that Death Cab reissue (wild applause), I got to add Dark Side of the Moon to my collection. It's been a long time coming. Ever since I put "Money" on my iPod on '05, I've had my eye on it.

That said, I was talking to my friend about it and we were discussing how an album like Dark Side of the Moon is not really blog-able, at least in the sense of the way I blog about albums here. Folks, there will be no album review for Dark Side of the Moon. Somethings are beyond me. I'm cool will that. I listened to it for the first time today. So many sounds. Do I get it? No. Do I necessarily need to get it? No. Did I like it? As a friend once said, "hellz yes." That's really all that matters for now.

On a completely shallow note, I can now justify buying that DSOTM poster at The Great Escape without feeling like a fraud.

No comments: