Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Hold Steady Stays Positive


It feels as though I just bought The Hold Steady's Boys and Girls of America and already the band is working on their fourth release, Stay Positive. No word on when it's actually going to hit stores. When I first read the news, I realized I wasn't that excited. The original review I wrote of Boys and Girls was good, but in the months after writing it, their album sank into the oblivion of my record collection. True, quite a few new albums have been added since, but there's got to be some difference if Heavier Things took years to get old and Boys and Girls fizzled after weeks. A review written after a month or so would have been a different one, perhaps. They can't all be dynamite.

I still think the lyrics are clever and very literary but the songs themselves proved to be for the most part, forgettable. Obviously, with any yet-to-be heard album, the potential is endless, but if we're in for another round of boozy lyrics and rock stumbling dangerously close to formulaic...I think I might pass.

No comments: