Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Caught in the Mêlée


There are times when it seems like we're living through an infestation of bands trying so hard to break the surface. I suppose it's always been that way, but with the internet, there is really a sense that every band is "the little band that could," or at least that's what they're hoping. I'm always running across names and sites and am frequently told that I should totally check out (insert name here). It's interesting and a whole lot to keep up with, so when I find something on my own and I instantly develop a liking for it, I'm pretty stinkin' pleased.

A couple friends and I are plotting a double concert weekend of sorts. Honestly I'm on the ignorant side as far as the acts we are seeing and have been digging around to familiarize myself with them. In the process I visited the site of a band called Mêlée...they're actually opening but that's beside the point. These four guys are from Orange County, CA and released Devils & Angels this past April and I'm banging my head on the wall, wondering why I haven't ever heard of them before. They are terrific and I can't get over how much I like their fresh sound which drips of youth. The piano on Built to Last is beautiful. Like I've said before, it's not often that I hear a song and love it on the spot. The lead singer's voice has a Beach Boys quality, like one he could be a Wilson brother. So great! Apparently they've been around since 2004 and only have one prior release, Everyday Behavior. I just keep going back to their site to listen to their audio player again and again. Addictive. Listen to Built to Last, Drive Away, Frequently Baby, Stand Up, and Rhythm of Rain. I put the link under Places to See. They most definitely have the blessing of The Musically Inclined.

No comments: