Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Auditory Roadtrip


Perhaps I am a bit late to realize this but, that "radio" button on iTunes is one nifty little feature. I started messing around with it about a week ago and had the good fortune of stumbling upon one station listed as "alternative." It was WFNX Boston and I have to say, I was quickly hooked. During one run between commercial breaks, they played Sublime, Rogue Wave, Shiny Toy Guns, Spoon, Nirvana, and Modest Mouse, to name a few. It was refreshing to hear this one type of music that appeals to me in one place-- no bouncing around from myspace page to myspace page because I don't have the CD, or having to commit to listening to a whole album by one band when I've got auditory ADD at the moment. Not to say that there's not a station around where I live that doesn't have a similar format-- if there is I haven't been listening, but the idea of tuning into a different city and glimpsing life there is kind of exciting. It even makes the commercials more tolerable. It's like driving through a city on a roadtrip and briefly imagining what it would be to call yourself a resident in that place.

If you haven't made a similar discovery, do some exploring when you get a chance.

No comments: