Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Silver Lining of Rilo Kiley


I love happy accidents. The other day I was scouring the web, as usual, for new music to keep my baby...I mean my blog going. No one likes months to pass between postings. Well, one particular web site claiming to be the last word on new releases made a little boo boo and listed Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight. It actually came out in August, but I won't criticize because it lead me to the Rilo Kiley myspace where I had the fortune of listening to Silver Lining, the first cut on the album. Honestly, I have not kept up with the L.A. group; they've just been part of that background buzz of bands to check into sometime. Perhaps my local radio station of choice has played them before, but I can't make any certain statements. All I know is this song was extremely appealing to me. On some level it recalled the sleek vibe of Dido, but I liked it better. It sounded cool and deliberate without sounding like it had a four-inch layer of shellac over it. There's definitely a feel of the nightlife.

It just goes to show, though that all it really takes sometimes is exposure to one good song. Now that I've heard Silver Lining, I really want to do some more investigating and if all goes well, pick up the CD wen I get a chance. From what I can tell from the other two songs featured on their Standalone Player, the rest of the album should share that subtly sophisticated sound. Stay tuned, a more lengthy review might turn up sometime. Here's to happy accidents.

No comments: