Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Cryptic Messages from My Shower Radio


I have a love/hate relationship with Top 40 radio. Mostly, I'm extremely critical; there's very little that actually strikes me as having real quality. However, I'm loathe to completely turn my back on it for fear of losing touch with any portion of not only the music scene as a whole, or this slice of pop culture. The idea of one day finding myself out of the loop is distressing and will be a sure signal that youth is no longer mine. In other words, I'm willing to put up with Ryan Seacrest's inane banter for the sake of knowing whether Jay-Z is or isn't retired...or for the sake of knowing what Miley Cyrus sounds like so I can roll my eyes in disgust. In any case, I have my reasons for tuning in.

But here's where my doubts come in. Back home, I have a shower radio. It doesn't pick up many stations, but the Top 40 station comes in loud and clear. This past weekend though, the signal was awful and in the process of messing with the tuner, I managed to pick up the other station that comes in loud and clear...the classic rock station. I've probably wasted a lot of time wincing through "Umbrella" 3,000 times and I think my radio got sick of it, because that classic rock station mysteriously took over the entire top half of the dial. Nothing but angry static and Led Zeppelin, dominating multiple frequencies.

Perhaps staying "in the know" isn't worth self-inflicted exposure to crap. Perhaps though, I will miss out on the next "Cupid's Chokehold" (I enjoyed that, admittedly). I don't know. I'm going to have to see what my shower radio has to say about it.

No comments: