Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mêlée: Devils and Angels


I'm happy to say that I got a copy of Mêlée's Devils and Angels and after many months I finally got to answer the question that had been floating around my head. Is the rest of the album as good as the six or so songs I'd become familiar with via band web site and Myspace? You bet. The disc has twelve tracks plus a bonus and from those, I already wrote about "Built to Last," "Rhythm of the Rain," Frequently Baby," "Drive Away," "You Got," and "Stand Up." The rest range from energetic piano pop to slow and sweet ballads. As always, the lyrics are clever and slick. One favorite of mine comes from "Biggest Mistake," chronicling a lapse in judgement involving a girl while in New York. "Hand full of friends and some dynamite, set to explode if you do it right. Right off a cliff on a Saturday night." The Mitch Ryder reference isn't too shabby either. Award for sweetest song goes to "She's Gonna Find Me Here." All in all it's a great album and Chris Cron's voice never ceases to evoke admiration for it's clarity and youthful tone. It's sunny stuff and the first record in a long time to really say something to me beyond an uninspiring proclamation of adequacy. If you're looking for something to put you in a good mood, Devils and Angels comes highly recommended.

No comments: