Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Jack Johnson: "If I Had Eyes"


One of the greatest and most inescapable influences on music has to be location. Where an artist lives or is from originally just seems to seep into the their music more often than not. I think it's pretty cool when that happens-- take the obvious reference of the Beach Boys, or the reputation Detroit has for producing a lot of tough and loud stuff like the MC5. Music is always better when it's got roots. I like Jack Johnson a lot for that reason. He produces some quality music and leaves no doubt in any mind that he's from Hawaii. His latest single, "If I Had Eyes" is yet another of his creations built on the citrus-y goodness of island influence. The guitar is as steady and light as ever while "oooh"s in the background bring to mind swaying palm trees. I have a hard time finding fault with the breeze that blows when I hit the "play" button.

I can't say that the song blew me away. It sounds like a cohesive part of his collection-- but don't go expecting much of an evolution. As a fan, I think I'm okay with that. If I want to hear major progression I'll listen to a few choice Beatles albums. Most of the time I listen to In Between Dreams because it puts me in a good mood and the music and lyrics (good grief, do I love his lyrics) are extremely appealing. There have definitely been times when that's all I want. Reading up on Johnson's background, it just sounds like he's having a good time with life, making surfing movies and starting up a record label to release the soundtracks before recording himself. Good times. Great locale. Can't wait for the next audio dose Hawaii to roll into stores sunny-up gray old February.

In case you missed the last entry..."If I Had Eyes" will be available on iTunes this Tuesday.

No comments: