Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dawes Play Grimey's Too

Props to my friend Emily for taking this for me.
For weeks I've been looking forward to catching Dawes play an in-store performance at Grimey's Too here in Nashville. So after standing in a line outside in the cold, 150ish people crammed into Grimey's new indie bookstore extension where it was considerably warmer and brighter. Dawes played for just about an hour, opening with "From a Window Seat" and hitting a bunch of new tracks from their April 9 release Stories Don't End, including "Just My Luck," "Something in Common," "Hey Lover," "Someone Will," and "Most People." They also worked in "Time Spent in Los Angeles" and closed with "A Little Bit of Everything" from Nothing is Wrong

There was a lot to enjoy about the afternoon. For pre-ordering the album earlier in the month to get a spot at the show, the audience also recieved really nice screen press posters to get signed. It was also exciting to see these guys in a smaller space. Since they've just announced a Ryman show June 9, I get the idea it's all up from here.


Dawes is an easy band to love. Especially after seeing them live, you get a picture of how solid their musicianship is. Plus, the lyrics. They always get me. There's so much music I like, but Dawes' songs fall into the category of music I react to. I'm particularly crushing on "Most People." There are a couple of lines that go "Most people don't talk enough about how lucky they are. Most people don't know what it takes for me to get through the day." That's some good drama.

Anyway, if you weren't there, you can hear several songs the band played earlier in the afternoon for local radio station Lightning 100 at a secret show.

No comments: