Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Tallest Man on Earth Packs the Cannery Ballroom


No full review here, but I do want to take a second to blurb a rare great concert moment. On July 23 I caught The Tallest Man on Earth at the Cannery Ballroom, here in Nashville. It was a solid show. Until I saw Kristian Matsson (The Tallest Man) take the stage, though, it never occurred to me what great security performing with a band must provide versus stepping out alone. Luckily, Matsson and his guitar can hold the wonder of a crammed venue. And crammed it was with a crowd that included everything from hipsters to pooka shell-wearing frat boys.

Matsson seemed genuinely surprised at the the crowd, which brings me to that moment. Every now and then at a show you'll catch something that has nothing to do with showmanship or entertainment. When Matsson launched into the final chorus of "The Gardener," he stopped singing and let the crowd finish out the line "So I could stay the tallest man in your eyes, babe." I'd say it was like every other time a artist lets the crowd sing if it were not for the way he scanned the audience in disbelief of how so many people knew every single word. I could be wrong, but that experience had to have been pretty cool.

No comments: