Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

Odds & Ends as of Late


Nothing super important to report lately, just a few loose ends to tie or just mention, really.

Firstly, I just saw this on Pitchfork. The Kinks are releasing a box set entitled Picture Book on December 8th this year. It's 6 discs plus a 60-page booklet containing pictures, timelines, bios, etc. Looks pretty sweet, if you ask me. Though, I really don't want to see the price tag on that sucker. I think I'll just mop up the drool on my laptop and move on.

Secondly, it appears that the Fray are releasing their sophomore album, The Fray, Feb. 3rd, 2009. Why do I mention this? I was marveling at the fact that I don't really care, if that makes any sense at all. Recently it came to my attention that I didn't buy many albums this year and the reason is that I usually don't invest in a disc unless I think I might follow the band or singer in the future. Buying the kinds of albums that have less shelf life than a jug of milk only bolsters the record collection on a superficial level. Total waste of time and iPod space. When How to Save a Life came out in 2005, everybody bought it. They were plastered all over the place but when the hype died down, how many people continued to care? I sort of forgot they existed.

Thirdly, Stephen Colbert is releasing an accompanying Christmas album with his television special. I smell a new holiday favorite at the Musically Inclined.

Fourthly, I'm wondering why I haven't gotten into John Legend before. Both "Green Light" and Legend are about six kinds of cool. Happily, Legend will be on Colbert's special this Sunday.

Fifthly, is that a word? If not, it is now. The Killer's album comes out on the 25th. I'll buy it, but for some reason I'm preparing to be underwhelmed. We'll see.

Happy Friday

No comments: