Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Radiohead: Where's the love? (And by love I mean money).


Probably by this time, most are aware of that "crazy" thing Radiohead did, releasing their own album and allowing people to name their own price. I was intrigued by the idea. It sounded risky to me, people can be unpredictable and perhaps odd, but surely loyalty to a favorite band would count for something, right?

Guess not. According to an article I saw on the BBC news website, 62%of people who "bought," and I use the term loosely, paid absolutely nothing. 38% paid on average $6. Really? Seriously? I don't don't even really listen to the group but I'd feel so guilty for taking the culmination of hours of work for nothing. One could argue that hey, no one said anyone had to pay anything, but in my mind it's the honors system and if it was a band I liked especially-- the last thing I'd want to do would be take advantage of them.

Don't get me wrong either-- I'm under no illusion that Radiohead is depending on sales to feed their starving, malnourished families. It's the principle.

I don't want to sound too idealistic here, but the fact that a person would normally pay $14 should be a sign that they'd be willing to pay something. And if they've been willing to fork out in the past, because they like the band enough, wouldn't they feel some sense of good will toward them that they would want to pay? It's scary. Where did decency go? Or was it never here and its absence hasn't been as obvious?

Paste Magazine is having a similar promotion, letting people name their price for year-long subscription. Again-- too risky for my taste but at least they have set a minimum $1 per issue. Maybe it's better. I don't know.

Here's to hoping the Golden Rule experiences a resurgence in popularity.

No comments: