Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Coldplay is Back-- Missed that Memo


It drives me crazy when I think I hear something or catch the very tail end of something that I no doubt would have loved to have heard. Allow me to explain. I caught a snatch of DJ blabber the other day and it sounded a whole lot like "Coldplay...new album...almost finished." Huh? I thought they were tucking themselves away for a while, or at least I remember specifically a conversation in which a friend told me that I was right and it was true what I read in a magazine. Yeah. I'd pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Coldplay was going to be gone for a while but I have to say-- I guess it's been a quick two years. After some internet surfing I confirmed that I did in fact hear the correct mix of words, but going back to that whole "what drives me crazy" thing is that Coldplay announced back in March that they were back in the studio. Not only that but they were already hyping one particular song as the greatest song in the history of their career. Hearing artists talk up their stuff too much gets old and is flat out disappointing from these guys.

And where was I in March that this got by me? I really wish I had a good excuse for that. In fact, I seem to remember March as being fantastically boring. In any case various articles claim that they are making progress and some track titles are available. There's no release date yet and no title. Great marketing strategy. What's a bit worrisome though is that they're talking so much about their new sound and their new direction, experimentation with some latin influence. I don't know folks. A lot of people like Coldplay because they sound like Coldlay. I'm all for adventure but really it feels like they're dabbling into that potentially obnoxious self-searching, so frequently found in bands with multi-platinum egos. These guys have been cool and successful, bordering on faceless at times and it works for their music which has got that ethereal touch to it. We'll see. I best I can relay is the early part of 2008.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: