Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Glory of the New Album


There are too few surprises in life. Way too few. Things are either predictable or given away easily. The magic 8 ball only has so many answers, too many colors will always make brown, an apple cut horizontally has a star in the middle. I think though, that one of the few experiences that is relatively difficult to spoil, is the experience of listening to an album for the first time. Sure, reviews are available and word spreads quickly, especially if it's a real dog, but it really doesn't matter who thinks you'll like an album. There is only one person who can decide that and I would hope that a person would be true enough not to subject themselves to music they absolutely despise. Nobody is convincing me that Modern Times by Bob Dylan rivals Highway 61 Revisited. Hell no, sugar. New music is great, or at least the prospect of new music. Who knows what's really been burned on those tracks? Musical innovation and enlightenment or warmed-over crap?

Then there's when you actually get to hit 'play' that first time. With me, I've got to listen to something several times before I make a decision. I distinctly remember being less than thrilled the first time I heard Hot Fuss by the Killers and then all of a sudden it all came together, it made sense as one piece of music, as one piece of style. Gaps closed and a definitive story line of sorts surfaced.I love that CD, but it was an interesting ride getting there. I think that ride is priceless. Every listen brings new twists and turns, new interpretations and details. At this very moment there is a brand new CD sitting in my bag that I have never heard before. It is something that has been around for maybe three years and despite talk I never really got around to buying it. Now it's mine and I can't wait to see if I agree or if I think it is grossly crushed by the hype. We'll see. It's a surprise.

No comments: