Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Anybody Out There?


Most people are pretty into themselves. I think that's a fair statement, and why not? It's what's in front of us that's the most obvious and with that most accessible. So, by extension if we're into ourselves, we're into our habitat. That's fine too. I like my habitat. It's pleasantly messy and at times crazy...but even bigger than that is the realization that sometimes I don't have much of an idea of what's going on in other cultures. It's got nothing to go with politics and wars and everything to do with music.

In case, if anybody hasn't ever picked up a copy of Paste magazine, I'd like to say it's one of the greatest music magazines out there and reading it is a must. Besides covering more mainstream alternative, it covers the up-and-coming and off-beat, as well as the international. What's even better is their sampler CD. Some one with a hungry appetite for music, the chance to hear a variety of singles from more established folks like Marc Broussard to a funky guy like Kristoffer Ragnstam from Sweden, is a thing of beauty. And with regards to the later whose song "Man Overboard" is a delicious mix European flare with a bit of a club sound, it's very modern, very cool, it gets stuck in my head ll the time. Another cool song recently highlighted is "White Tiger" by Pétur Ben from Iceland. It's along similar lines and very enjoyable having a definite structure and driving shifts in the song. I guess my point is that sometimes it's hard to keep up with the American music scene let alone one from another continent but there's gold over there and it's unfortunate to be blind to it. Both songs are in English just in case anyone was wondering, 'cause I know someone was. One song that isn't though, is Gör Det Nu by a group from Sweden called Dungen. I've actually seen this CD in the store. Folks, I have no idea what the heck that means, but it doesn't stop me from trying to sing along.

At the end of the day, it just makes me want to keep on my toes for whatever else I can find. There's a whole lot beyond our borders. Stay tuned.

No comments: