Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Laments: Etta James

The great Etta James passed away this week. James was possibly one of the most powerful female vocalists to walk to the Earth, and it's all kinds of sad that she won't be around anymore. What I found striking about her passing though, was that it was a bigger deal than I thought it would be, and rightly so. She was much more than the singer behind "At Last," after all.  In high school, Etta James was like a secret I knew about, a secret so cool and yet so undiscovered by people my age. They didn't even know what their iPods were missing.

Glad to know that I would eventually be very wrong in my assumption.

Here's one of my favorite Etta James songs, "I'd Rather Go Blind," a perfect example of the strength and vulnerability that she could communication in her singing.

No comments: