Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Such Great Heights : A Classic


I used to wonder which modern songs would reach "classic" status someday, if any would at all. At this point, I'm going to go ahead and say that Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" must be one of those songs. After the original and subsequent memorable Iron and Wine cover, the various renditions I've heard over the years make me think that there's some quality to it that translates whether an artist is spinning it instrumental, slow and breathy, or faithful to the original. Somehow the pretty wistfulness always comes through any interpretation– dirty and electronic like Postal Service, or simple and acoustic like Iron and Wine.

Check out this version by the Section Quartet and tell me this won't survive a few generations.

No comments: