Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Marvelous Night for a Moondance


I think that sometimes people can get turned off on things that are from a past generation. Obviously, not everyone is like that, but I do think it happens even if it turns out to be unintentional. Point: Van Morrison-- for a long time he was cemented in my mind as the guy who sang "Brown Eyed Girl." That's not the worst thing to be known for, but it's not completely fair either. The song is not exactly substance-heavy. I recently hijacked my dad's copy of Van Morrison's Moondance album with the sole intention of importing the title song and "Everyone" but I had a flicker of good judgement and put the whole album on my laptop.

I'd always heard that it was a great piece of work...but some of the songs are really impressive. The very first track, "And it Stoned Me" is soulful with a hint of "The Weight" by the Band out in '68. It's very enjoyable and one of my favorites. Admittedly there are a one or two tracks that lose me to a degree, but still each one has something distinct. "Into the Mystic" is not a stick-out track for me but still it's got a quality that I find hard to deny, and by deny I mean via the skip button. Musically, it's a solid album, employing a variety of instruments including saxophone and piano which give it a loftier, more sophisticated sound. It's not guitar-driven rock and I think it sounds gorgeous and rich. The whole album has a feeling, if I may be so vague. You'll have to hear it.

So, do a little excavating beyond what's played on these blasted oldies stations and give a listen to something very chill and satisfying.

Ciao

No comments: